Friday, November 24, 2006

That Puppy Don't Crawl

Ahhhh, 4 whole days off for Thanksgiving!! What a perfect time to relax and devote a bit of time to the blog. We will probably brave the crowd today for Tracie to go shopping and for me to peoplewatch. Sydney is on her last days of being on Amoxicillin and getting over her ear infection. We are feeling pretty good about taking her out to get some more fresh air and enjoy the warm weather for a change. We went to IHOP this morning for breakfast. For the second time in her life, Sydney sat in a high chair the entire time. She was even enjoying small morsels of pumpkin pancakes with butter pecan syrup.

It was great to see Sydney back to her normal, rambunctious self again. It was scary to be holding her last week while she was running her fever. It was on a Wednesday afternoon that the daycare called Tracie to say that the baby developed a fever, and it was climbing fast. By the time I got to her, Sydney was feverish with 102 degree temperature. We got an appointment with the pediatrician for 9:30am Thursday. In the meantime, we gave her Children's Tylenol and tried to keep her comfortable. The next morning, she was still feverish and was getting groggy. When the nurses came to check her temperature, Sydney was at 105 degree. They immediately gave her a dose of Concentrated Children's Tylenol. The only good thing that came out of that visit was knowing that she only had an ear infection instead of something more serious and that she was weighing in at 15 lbs 13.5 ozs. For the next two days, I took time from work to tend to her. She was clinging to me, almost too hot for me to hold. I was scared crapless. At one point, I was rushing around putting a cold towel on her forehead because I was not sure what else to do short of taking her to the hospital or back to the pediatrician. But she told us to hold tight and let the amoxicillin and Tylenol do their things. If Sydney did not get better by Monday, then we would need to bring her back. By Sunday morning, the fever was almost gone, but it felt like it's been a week since the fever started.

But now that she's healthy again, what is her excuse for not crawling? We have trying so hard to encourage her to crawl. She has mastered the art of rolling all over the place. She just won't crawl. She's getting a little closer to crawling with getting on all four and rocking back and forth for a few seconds. Then she would simply either roll over on her side or plop down on her tummy. That puppy just won't crawl. She is 8 month and 1 day old today. Shouldn't she be crawling by now? I think so. I almost insist it. Dadgum it, CRAWL!!! I'm not sure exactly what is my obsession with seeing Sydney crawl. I think it's just the cutest thing to see a baby finally figure out how to crawl and then take their first steps. I've been waiting for that moment for Sydney since the day she was born. I've been crawling around her for a few days now, trying to show her what it looks like. I've propped her up on all four and lift each limb in succession to show her EXACTLY which limb to move and the sequence of events that should take place to gain forward motion. But Sydney took it in stride and just laughed. Tonight, I'll try subliminal messaging. I'll whisper the instructions for crawling in her ears while she's sleeping. She should have enough strength to crawl by now. Last night, she even went as far as crawling on her tummy using just her arms to pull herself forward a couple of times. I don't consider that crawling since it doesn't involve moving her legs. Those turkey legs should be plenty powerful to propel her forward once she figures it out. She's been exercising those legs in the bouncer and the exersaucer forever. She is simply brutal when she plays. She can hop completely off the ground and land hard while still straddling the seat, which makes me hurt just thinking about it. It's a good thing she's not a boy.

May be I should be counting my blessing. Once she starts crawling, I have a feeling I'm going to be bust watching her and keeping her out of places she doesn't belong. It's time to childproof the house.

2 Comments:

Blogger Shirley said...

glad that she's much better now! You just need the proper incentive, daddy......SHOES! Try some Jimmy Choo ones - that might work! ;)

7:55 AM  
Blogger Shirley said...

OK, Daddy needs to UPDATE the blog with holiday pictures! Sheesh!

7:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home