Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Holiday Pics

Just so Shirley will stop nagging me, here are some holiday pictures of Sydney. As Christmas Eve approaches, everyone was excited. This was especially true for Sydney who was one of the designated Santa's helpers.It was her first Christmas, and, boy, what an honor!! Sydney has been a good girl, for the most part. She loved my brothers, laughing hysterically with them at times. She enjoyed the Christmas spirit so much that she didn't mind wearing the silly, oversize hat.

She crawled on the carpet from one place to another, making sure all was ready for the big moment of handing out and opening presents. Sydney just knew that she would be getting a lot of presents. Boy, oh, boy. She loved my dad who, despite his failing health, spent a lot of energy entertaining her. And so, the moment came when we all gathered around the table, and Santa's little helpers were handing out presents one by one. Sydney accepted her presents with glee. She also did her job well, such that she was hoisted onto my sister-in-law's shoulders in celebration.

Sydney stayed up until 2:00 am to celebrate Christmas with the rest of us, which totally destroyed her sleep pattern for the next several days. But I guess she only gets to celebrate her first Christmas once so it was worth the price.

Overall, Sydney got along with everyone but taking more time to get used to some family members than others. But she didn't want to have anything to do with my mom. :-( What a giant disappointment for me and for her. She had been waiting for 9 months to hold Sydney in her arms. Sydney would starting crying and squirming immediately whenever my mom tried to hold her or even touch her. After 7 full days of trying to ease her into letting my mom hold her for a few minutes, I gave up and told my mom just to do it. Out of desperation, Mom grabbed Sydney and held the squirming little terror for a couple of minutes before giving her back to me to console the sobbing baby. Poor Mom, though. I tried a few times to sit with Sydney near my mom to get them acquainted. It brought tears to my eyes to watch Mom reach out to stroke the baby's hand since she couldn't hold her only to see Sydney pull her hand away. I felt so sad for my mom as I know how much she loved the baby. Hopefully when Sydney is a little older, her reaction would be much different.

We decided to spend the day after Christmas at my brother's house where it was relatively quiet to give ourselves as well as Sydney as chance to recuperate. She had a great time playing in the playpen with her cousin, Sabrina. Sydney adored her, always jumping up and down excitedly when Sabrina came into the room. They were inseparable; Sabrina would insist on sitting next to Sydney everywhere we went. It was really nice to see them bonding like sisters.

1 Comments:

Blogger Shirley said...

YAY!!!! An update! Adorable pictures!

7:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home