Saturday, May 06, 2006

Tick tock, tick tock

A large quantity of iced tea and a medium Coke consumed with my meals for good measures today rendered me sleepless and restless tonight. It's 2:00 am, and conscious thoughts are still swimming in my head instead of dreams. I should have known better than to test the effect of caffeine on my system today. The results are always the same. The clock on the nightstand is teasing me. The minutes seem to pass by slower and slower. Well then, it seems like it is a perfect time to update my blog while the rest of the family sleeps.

Sydney's sleep pattern is becoming unpredictable during the last few days. She terrorized her mom and granny yesterday when they were going shopping. She was restless and inconsolable. After an hour, they went home. Today, Sydney slept for most of the day and "behaved perfectly", according Tracie. We can't tell if we've done anything differently. I discovered that Sydney was becoming more accepting of the Aquarium Take-Along swing but only if I rock her manually versus setting the knob to swing automatically. I have to push the swing hard, which seems to please her. Only then would she go to sleep in the swing without the usual fussiness. So be it. I just hope the swing set can take it. I should check the screws and bolts again before I have a flying baby on my hand.

She likes a little wind blowing through her wisps of hair. I know so from taking her for a little walk around the yard this evening. A slight breeze and a setting sun was just the right formula for droopy eyelids. She laid perfectly still in my arms as we strolled past the honeysuckles, the roses and the hydrangea bushes. The fragrance from the honeysuckles must have also soothed her senses. I sure love it. My little angel was drifting off fast. I went back inside to get ready to put her down. Wouldn't you know it, she perked right up not more than 5 steps inside the house. I was amazed. So back outside I went for another stroll. In no time at all, she was ready for another nap. Tick tock, tick tock. She was out for a couple of hours in pleasant sleep. She is even sleeping well tonight. We put her to bed more than 4 hours ago. She has barely stirred.

I learned a new word this week: Untoward. A colleague apparently used this word in a document, and another colleague told me about it. She looked it up and told me that it meant unruly. Seriously, how people would actually use this word in their regular vocabulary? I've never heard of it, at least noticed it before. I learn best when I use a new word in a sentence, so I guess after posting this blog, I should go comb my untoward hair and check up on my untoward, energy-filled daughter. Better yet, I am looking toward another untoward day since my plan towards working in the yard is looking untowardly with the untowardness of Georgia weather in the Spring. Maybe I should just look up the friggin' word myself and understand it once and for all. What fun would that be?

And another thing. Why do people, who are not of Mexican descent, celebrate Cinco de Mayo with such fervor and reckless abandonment? We went to a Mexican restaurant Friday night to, what else, celebrate Cinco de Mayo with some chimichangas and margaritas (author's note: those are not code words for our female friends). The wait was an hour. The place was set up with tents in the parking lot and a DJ jockeying some party tunes. The parking lot was packed with people running around with beers and margaritas. Not more than 1% of them were Hispanic. What's up with that? Were the Hispanics not back yet from the boycott march? (I'm going to get beat up for that one) For years I thought Cinco de Mayo was the Mexican's version Independence Day. I bet most of the people there thought the same. In fact, it is the celebration of the defeat of the French at the Battle of Puebla. People, you beat the French!! It was the French, for heaven's sake. What did you do? Send an army of your finest chihuahuas? Can someone tell me how many wars have the French actually won? (I'm going to get it from the French, too) I don't know why Tracie and I bother to celebrate Cinco de Mayo. I guess we need something in May to celebrate, just like everyone else at the restaurant. I just know I love Mexican food and would take whatever opportunity I got to down a margarita and munch on some nachos. Ole!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home