Tuesday, June 13, 2006

New routine

Tracie is back at work. I'm in Philadelphia on a 3-day business trip. Sydney was being dropped off at the daycare center. This week brought a lot of changes for us. It's just the beginning of a new routine, with a lot more business trips for me in the months ahead. I am not looking forward to them. Today is Sydney's third day in daycare. There will be plenty more days ahead at the daycare center.

My fingers ache from being crossed for so long. Everyone kept telling me how beautiful Sydney was. I had sent out a couple of recent pictures of Sydney in bonnets. One was titled "Sunday Drive", and the other was titled "Sydney in Bonnet". Both were great hits with colleagues, friends and family. A few people at work even printed out the pictures and kept them at their desks as if Sydney was their own child. I was flattered. I decided to submit one of the pictures to Cutekid.com, hoping Sydney would be chosen as the winner of the June contest. The first prize was a $500 U.S. Treasury bond along with some other prizes. It would be great to be able to put the Treasury bond into a trust fund for Sydney and tell her later that she had earned it on her own merits. It was worth a try for $20. I won't know the results of the contest until mid-July. Until then, I guess I'll continue to keep my fingers crossed.

Just blogging about her makes me miss Sydney terribly. It's hard to be sitting in a hotel room wishing I could kiss my wife and kid good night. I miss our occasional chatter with Sydney while changing her diaper on the changing table. She is becoming quite a chatterbox. I miss watching Sydney talk to the three bears dangling overhead from the crib mobile while she is lying on the blanket on the floor and kicking her legs excitedly as she watches each little bear passes by. I even miss the way she thrashes about just before falling asleep in my arms. I especially miss waking up in the early morning hours to see her face close to mine and one of her arms raised over her head in what I called her "Statue of Liberty" imitation. She's like a little Houdini in the morning escaping from the swaddle wrapped tightly around her body each night to keep her arms from flailing during the night.

I'll be home tomorrow night to smother her with hugs and kisses. At least that is one routine I can live with.

1 Comments:

Blogger Shirley said...

GIANT HUGS, Daddy! It doesn't get any easier being away (ask mine) but the hugs and screams of "Daddy!" as soon as you walk in the door kind of makes you forget that you've been gone and how much you've been missed.....

7:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home