Sunday, May 14, 2006

Let it Shine

We got to truly celebrate Mother's Day at last. Tracie was especially giddy, looking forward to spending time with Sydney on their first Mother's Day together. At Tracie's request, we loaded up the SUV and headed to our favorite Thai restaurant. With her parents in town, it was a good occasion to celebrate 2 generations of motherhood.

Sydney was a charmer. She laid there in her carrier quietly like a little angel in pink, casting glances at other patrons in the restaurant. She caught the attention of everyone passing by. The older lady at the next table was especially charmed. She stopped dead in her tracks and smiled widely at Sydney. "Oh, what a beautiful baby!" she exclaimed, "How old is she?" We told her Sydney was almost 2 months old but I don't think she heard us. Her eyes were fixated on Sydney's face as Sydney was trying to speak.

"You had me at Goo-goo." Her eyes revealed her adoration for Sydney. Sydney had goo-goo'd, ga-ga'd her way into another heart. She had started to coo noticeably just this weekend but she sure knew how to work her magic.

Tonight, Tracie had a special treat. She was tending to the baby while I took a shower. I left the baby lying on the bed and asked Tracie to keep an eye on her. Sydney was fast asleep in her arms when I emerged from the bathroom. Tracie was beaming from ear to ear.

"She smiled at me," she exclaimed excitedly. "When I got close to her, she looked at me and smiled. She smiled for about 10 seconds at ME! It was THE BEST present I ever had!"

I kissed my wife and stroked my sweet baby girl's hair. I was so happy for this monent. Although I was disappointed that I missed my baby's first real smile, I was glad that Sydney's first real smile came on Tracie's first Mother's Day. No one could have scripted a better moment for it. For the record, I made a mental note that Sydney smiled at approximately 9:40 p.m. (give or take a few minutes) on May 14, 2006. For us, it was the Mother of all Mother's Day. Sydney's radiant little smile brought sunshine into our hearts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home