Saturday, September 29, 2007

Aruba is Calling...SOS for Love

So it's been a long while since the last time I updated this blog. I've been very busy. Sue me. For Sydney's adoring fans, I must actually apologize. I have not kept everyone updated with new pictures so this entry is more pictorial than text to at least get some recent pictures in place.

The first picture was from July 3. Here, Sydney was snacking on some cherries (one of her favorite fruits) while wearing the traditional pajama. The outfit suited her so much better in July than when she was 1 year old. As usual, she looked adorable.


Then she wandered off for another of her favorite snacks, the animal crackers. Thinking that she could just sneak in a new snack, she tried to open the container while I wasn't looking. But I managed to wheel the camera around and snapped a shot. She sheepishly put her finger in her mouth in embarassment. She often sucks her finger when she is nervous or embarassed.


We sometime like to play tag with her, too. She likes it. But it's no ordinary game of tag. Tracie often finds these Yes, No, or Maybe stickers in the girlie magazines. She would then paste some of these all over Sydney who would delight in having been "made over."
















Here is a picture of the three of us on our first cruise ever. We went to the Bahamas on the Carnival Valor, one of the "fun ships". Sydney would have nothing to do with the tiny cabins; she insisted on taking me on walks all over the ship. It was fun, but I'm not so sure I would do it again until Sydney is a few years older.


Sydney has taken a real liking to the DVD player and the TV. She has some favorite DVD of various variety shows that she would play over and over again. When she wants to watch one of these DVDs, she would lead me to the entertainment center, bury her face against my legs as a gesture for me to pick her up, select the DVD, push the Open/Close button to slide open the tray, take out the old DVD, load the new one and push the Open/Close button once more. Then she would work the remote control to turn on the TV, grab my hand to pull me down on the floor, and plop down on my laps to watch the show. She had the routine down pat at the tender age of 16 months. Call me biased but I always thought that it was pretty smart of her.

After a long, hard day of torturing Mommy and Daddy, Sydney sometimes passes out in the crib. Now and then, she would play with her favorite stuffed animal, Bun-bun, from the Leap Frogs videos. But she doesn't sleep in the crib very long. Almost every night, she would wake up around 11:00 and cry until we put her into the bed with us. We've created a monster. But then again, I miss having her in the bed which is really about the only time I ever get to spend with Sydney in a calm and quiet environment. While she is awake, she is pretty rambunctious.



And, last but not least, Sydney found her way to Aruba. Over the Labor Day weekend, we decided to make a last minute trip to get away from the stress of work and school. Tracie decided on Aruba, and Sydney and I were more than happy to oblige. We spent 4 days and 3 nights at an all-inclusive hotel. It was a great trip, despite the fact that we arrived the day before Hurricane Felix was to pass through the area. We got lucky that we only experienced heave rain and a 3-hour power outage as the hurricane passed north of the island. By late afternoon, the sun was out and everything was grooving again. We thought about sending out an SOS just in case the hurricane changed course but, luckily, we just had to call my brother to let him know that we were in Aruba and we were alright.


The hotel had a great "zero-entry" pool, meaning the sidewalk just slopes gently into the water without a drop-off. The baby waded in and splashed around in the water in no time. She did not care much for the little red hat that we made her wear but the sun was brutal and her little scalp probably would have been scorched without it.

The next picture is my favorite from the trip. Sydney found a friend, about the same size and age. Neither of them understood each other but they somehow managed to hang out by the pool for a few days. The other girl was apparently of Latino origin, judging by her parents. The girls just hung out by the edge of the pool, chatting about the hardship of baby life under the watchfull eyes of Tracie. I don't recall if they exchanged cell phone numbers before they parted ways.

1 Comments:

Blogger Shirley said...

YAY!!!!! She is just absolutely precious!!!!

8:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home